Most people struggle with this; why do you think there is a peak in gym memberships in January and the gym is packed? Suddenly February comes along and half the people are gone! Sticking with the gym is difficult because: we all have tight schedules, we all are tired with our normal life schedules, and well the gym is a lot of physical work!
Here are a few ground rules:
- Make going to the gym part of your life; just like brushing your teeth! Getting physically shape and keeping it is a lifestyle change!
- Make a schedule of the day and time you will go each week. Make sure it is a time that you can do; this is why first thing in the morning is sometimes the best, no other activities you do during the day can get in the way.
- At the beginning of the week create a workout plan for each day. This plan should detail the body part(s) that will be targeted, the exercises, reps, sets, and weight as well as the type and time of cardio training.
- Make playlists specific to the type of workout with your favorite motivational and powerful songs.
- Keep a log of your body changes. This log should be updated every few weeks and should include: weight, measurements, energy level, and maybe even a picture. Whatever works to make you see the benefits for your hard work